Mountain Biking Program
The St John’s Grammar Mountain Biking Program is returning for Term 3. To provide a framework and pathway for students progression, the program will continue to feature three grades (Kestrels, Kites and Eagles). There will be an emphasis on developing practical bike handling skills, basic to advanced race techniques and team preparations ahead of the Schools MTB Championships in October.
Students in Years 3 and above will be eligible to participate and will need to nominate which group they wish to join. We will begin the program on Friday 13 August (Week 4) in Belair National Park.
The Kestrels will be run similar to a Come and Try program, with new riders combined with students who need to build confidence, sticking to straightforward trails. The Kestrels will be managed by Chris Raymond, with support from Simon McKenzie and Richard Anderson. Parents are also very welcome to join the action. The Kestrels will utilise local trails in Belair National Park and Craigburn Farm.
The Kites will again be coached by Talia Simpson (Head For The Hills and Old Scholar) and will spend most of their time on intermediate trails and building key skills.
The Eagles will again be coached by Tyson Schmidt (Head For The Hills) and will tackle a range of trails, with a particular focus on developing ‘advanced level’ skills. There is scope for this group to focus specifically on ‘Gravity Enduro’ skills. Group numbers are limited and riders must be confident.
Please contact Program Coordinator, Chris Raymond at email@example.com if you have any queries or require any further information.
- Six Training sessions on Friday evenings – commencing at 4pm on Friday 13 August (Week 4) and finishing on 17 September (Week 9).
- Available to students in Years 3 and above.
- Discipline independent course – separate Gravity and XC programs (pending interest).
- No course pre-requisites. Students must be able to ride on two wheels confidently.
Program delivery locations to be confirmed each week via email and CANVAS
- Belair National Park
- Shepherds Hill Recreation Park
- Craigburn Farm
- Kestrels (Beginner) No charge (registrations essential)
- Kites (Intermediate) $70 per student
- Eagles (Advanced) $70 per student
Students will need to provide their own equipment, including an appropriate bike, helmet, safety gear and clothing. All must be in good working order.
Following submission of your order, you will receive a confirmation email containing all order details.
Payment must then be made via the St John’s Grammar Payment Gateway.
- Select the ‘Event Payments’ tab
- Enter your details
- Select ‘Mountain Bike Term 3 2021 Program’ in the ‘Event’ field
- Enter the total registration cost for your child/ren